Thursday 18 April 2024

#NaPoWriMo2024 #Day18 #Donchawish


" Doncha wish you were like, not disabled?"

New born I was perfect –
though aren’t we all in our mother’s eyes?

Though there were signs in childhood,
nights were I slung myself from bed.

In my pre-teens, named
Dolly Daydream because my attention wandered.

Seventeen, first tonic clonic,
but anyone can have a one of seizure, right?

Once the wall was breached
by my brains own projectiles.

Seizures like sorrows did not
come as single spies.

Left behind, labelled disabled
a sixth form dropout.

Eighteen, my personal best
206 seizures in a fortnight.

Regrets?   Don’t get me wrong,
I think, maybe life is easier –

Though it’s trite to say
“My dis/ability is my superpower”.

It has it’s gifts, it’s insights.
I can advocate, like a devil.


No comments:

Post a Comment